RE: Tie Rod Ends

To: "Jason Spaeth" <jasonspaeth@hotmail.com>, <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Tie Rod Ends
From: "Peter Ryner" <pryner@verizon.net>
Date: Wed, 14 Jul 2004 17:47:55 -0400
Jason,
Several folks have removed them using two hammers.  I purchased a tie rod
end separator many years ago and have used it successfully many times.  I
use a tapered fork which wedges between the ball and the rod end.  I've also
used it on many other projects.  You can also get a screw type tool to push
the end out.  Whatever you do, don't try to beat the end of the tie rod
threads.  Just messes up things and could possible damage much more than the
old tie rod end.
Pete

Hi Group:  Is there a trick or special tool involved in removing the tie rod
ends?  The shaft seems to be stuck. I would like to install new rack boots
and tie rod ends.

Thanks for any and all help (again).

Jason Spaeth
early 74 B