Re: the mysterious leaking coolant

To: "G.G. Causey" <ggcausey@net-venture.com>, mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: the mysterious leaking coolant
From: David Councill <dcouncil@imt.net>
Date: Wed, 28 Jul 2004 20:08:24 -0600
Do you or anyone else have a picture or more details on the "betson bolt."
I remember reading about it from list postings earlier and had a rough idea
of the concept. It would appear this is my problem after all....

Last night I finally saw a pool of coolant after a few weeks trying to find
the leak. Due to the location of the pool, I thought it was the heater. But
that appearance of coolant was a sign that the problem had gotten worse. I
inspected the car when I got home but still saw nothing and had never seen
any sign of leakage from the rear core plug, mainly because it always
burned or evaporated off. This morning I took the radiator cap off as I
thought I would replace it. That in itself was an adventure.

I took the cap to Car Quest, the closest large chain in the area. First, I
asked the parts guy for a radiator cap for a 1972 MGB. He got a puzzled
look and said, "I never heard of that kind of car. Who makes it?"

"Uh, MG," I replied.

And oddly enough, MG was not listed in their book of radiator caps. So he
had to get another parts guy and I handed him the old one. They had one but
it was $6, Moss sells them for around $4, so Moss isn't necessarily more
expensive for generic items.

I get home and a quick look showed the radiator coolant level was lower
than in the morning and I haven't even driven the car. A pool of coolant on
the ground and a distinct stream from the rear core plug. It feels like its
not in even - the bottom is in deeper than the top. And the machine shop
installed them when they bored the block. So now I'm looking at this Betson
bolt or some similar repair. If it was almost winter, I'd just pull the
engine, but this is Montana where summers are short and I still have a
month to enjoy. So any Betson bolt tips would be appreciated.

David Councill
67 BGT
72 B