Re: Multi grade Oil in high mileage engines/cars

To: MG List <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Multi grade Oil in high mileage engines/cars
From: Max Heim <mvheim@studiolimage.com>
Date: Sat, 31 Jul 2004 15:09:51 -0700
I don't know it for a fact, but I think it is very plausible. As I wrote
recently, multigrade oils are not a mixture of low viscosity and high
viscosity oil -- they are a low viscosity oil with "viscosity improving"
additives, in the form of molecules which expand when heated, and combine
with the long chain molecules in the oil to "stiffen" it.

So it's very likely that an in engine with worn valve guides, for instance,
the low-viscosity base stock will be more likely to drip down the valve
guides when the engine is cold or the car is parked, causing smoking and oil
burning.

At any rate, in coastal California, where you and I live, the temperature is
extremely stable within a very narrow range, and very predictable year-
round, so choosing the appropriate single-weight oil is easy, and there is
really no reason to use a multigrade.

--

Max Heim
'66 MGB GHN3L76149