Re: Symptoms-coil? continued

To: Malcolm Jeffcock <mjeffcock@tru.eastlink.ca>, mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Symptoms-coil? continued
From: Rocky Frisco <rock@rocky-frisco.com>
Date: Sun, 08 Aug 2004 12:29:45 -0500
Malcolm Jeffcock wrote:

> Thanks to all who repied. I replaced my coil with a new Luca sports
> coi, the car started well and drove great for about a mile. when I
> restarted I had the hestitation, coughing no power etc. I noticed
> today that the wire that runs from the condensor back to the wiring
> harness had no insulation covering where the connectors join. Could
> that have been shorting the system as it was on the plug wire for
> #1 ? I have not driven since I have put on the tape but will report
> if it makes a difference. What is that wire from the condesor for
> anyway?

The combination of the coil and the condenser form what is called a
"tank circuit." When the lines of force created by the tank circuit
collapse when the points open, this creates the energy surge that
fires the spark plug. If you're using electronic ignition, the system
replaces the points, but the tank circuit still fires the plugs when
the lines collapse.

The condenser is necessary for the circuit to work.

Some cars have a second condenser to suppress radio noise, but it's
not in line with the coil and is not part of the tank circuit.

-Rock    http://www.rocky-frisco.com
--
JJ Cale Live CD and video: http://www.rocky-frisco.com/calelive.htm
The Wednesday Night Science Project: http://www.wednitesciproj.us