Re: Symptoms-coil? continued

To: "Malcolm Jeffcock" <mjeffcock@tru.eastlink.ca>, <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Symptoms-coil? continued
From: "Paul Hunt" <paul.hunt1@blueyonder.co.uk>
Date: Mon, 9 Aug 2004 09:58:18 +0100
A short here would have caused the tach needle to flicker all over the place
... assuming an electric tach (what year?).  Your reference to condensers is
unclear.  You could have two condensers in the ignition circuit - one
contained within the distributor and one probably near the coil.  The one
inside the distributor is the one that is essential for the correct
operation of the ignition system, the other is probably a noise suppression
condenser and is optional.  The one inside the distributor should be screwed
to the points plate for its one connection, the other connection being a
wire that goes to the points mounting post.  It has no wires going into the
harness.  However there should be a white/black wire *also* connected to the
points post connected to the coil -ve or CB terminal, and the tach on 73 and
later cars.  The external condenser is usually bolted to a ground connection
and has a single wire connected to the coil +ve of SW terminal.  However if
the car is a rubber bumper the external component could be a resistor for
the electronic ignition system using a 45DE4 distributor, this would have
two wires.  As these systems were very fault prone most have been replaced
with a different system not using such a resistor, but the resistor could
still be in-situ.

PaulH.