Re: MGA Starter

To: MG LIST <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: MGA Starter
From: Ron Engelhardt <hardt@sonic.net>
Date: Sun, 08 Aug 2004 19:27:02 -0700
Time to break out the hand crank, hehheh. Seriously, does sound like the
starter is toast. I got my last one at a local Napa auto parts store for
under $50. It eventually went bad and was replaced at no charge by Napa
under their warranty. Can't beat that.

Ron Engelhardt
58 MGA
Santa Rosa, Ca.

Mike Razor wrote:

> MGA won't start.  Pull on the starter knob and get nothing, just a little
> click.  Pulled out the battery, since it was 3 years old and a lesser brand
> I was hoping that it was the culprit, tested it and it was in good shape. Oh
> well.  Put it back in and removed the starter.  Can turn the Bendix by hand
> and the little nub that sticks out from the back of the starter rotates the
> entire shaft.  In the past I could put a set of jumper cables on the starter
> and if working it would spin.  When I do that to this starter all I get is a
> bunch of sparks.  Does this mean that the old starter has given up the
> ghost?  I can't think of anything else.
>
> THANKS!
>
> Mike R

Check out the new British Cars Forum: