RE: Coil?

To: "Malcolm Jeffcock" <mjeffcock@tru.eastlink.ca>, <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Coil?
From: "Peter Ryner" <pryner@verizon.net>
Date: Wed, 25 Aug 2004 21:47:48 -0400
Malcolm,
You have to recenter the jet.  There are methods is most repair manuals.
Basically, you raise the jet until it is level with the bottom of the carb,
loosen the jet retaining nut and push the piston down until is it fully
seated.  As you keep pressure on the piston, tighten the nut on the jet.
Then try raising the piston and let it drop.  It should make a sound "clunk"
as it hits bottom.  After it is centered, you need to readjust the carb.
The theory is that if the jet is centered with the jet full up, it will be
centered in all positions.  If it will not fall freely after centering, you
probably have a bent needle.
Pete

Listers:
            A couple of weeks ago I posed a question about my MG's
symptoms...coughing los of power etc. at about 3000 rpm. Well I replaced
coil, condesor, points all based on the old adage that 90% of "carb
troubles" are electric.  No change I now have discovered that one of my
carbs (back one) is sticking. The piston stays "up"  causing the irregular
performance-running on 2 cylinders(?). I have cleaned it oil etc. it still
seems to stick once car is at around 3000 rpm for 30 seconds or so. Anyone
else had this trouble,how do I fix it?

Check out the new British Cars Forum: