Re: In-car camera mount

To: MGS <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: In-car camera mount
From: Eric <eric@erickson.on.net>
Date: Tue, 07 Sep 2004 00:56:50 +1030
Eric wrote:

> I picked up a nice little Hi-8 camera (SONY CCD-TRV46E) at a good price
> (everyone else is going digital) and I really, really need to design and
> make or buy a good in-car camera mount.  This is the only reason I
> bought the camera.

OK, once again thanks to those who responded (mostly off-list) to this
plea.  I think I just about have it right - and it simply cost me a few
brain cells; $2 worth of heavy, galvanised plate; and for now, a few
large cable-ties.

Put simply - a just bolted the plate to the tripod/clamp camera mount so
it gave more of the base of the camera support and used the cable tie
for added rigidity by providing another fastening point other than just
the screw mount (yes, I can upload pictures of the end-product if wanted :-)

A couple of test-runs around my local streets (bumpier than the
race-track) are pretty darn stable - or as stable as the car is.  My
next trick is to do something about the audio but I can fix that with
trial and error placement of an external microphone ... no big deal.

If you have lots of bandwidth and a fast broadband service and some time
to spare you may want to check out a rough example of my first trial run
(I haven't trimmed the file down much so it is pretty large).  The first
ten seconds or so shows what the result was before my design improvement
- yuck - the rest is the "after" result.  There is more work to do.

Go to http://www.mgracing.net/ and click on the "In Car Movies" link
below the big splash image of the B-GT.  There is a LARGE (24MB) and a
SMALL (7MB) version of the movie file.

--
Eric
'68MGB MkII