Battery issue solved - little adventure afterwards

To: MGS@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Battery issue solved - little adventure afterwards
From: Hans Duinhoven <h.duinhoven@planet.nl>
Date: Sat, 25 Sep 2004 20:08:56 +0200
Hi listers,

Thanks to Mark we can share our adventures again.
I always like to read messages, where listers were succesful after some
advises.
So I like you to share my battery story.

Yes I dared to get rid of two 6V batteries and move to one.
So I requested some advises - most US listers came with replies about group
26 type.
This is not known in Europe, so I went to the Varta website Europe's biggest
battery manufacturer.

In htier website http://www.varta.com/eng/ you can search for a matching
battery with your car.
UK car lovers really will like to home page showing a BBC (Big British Car)
Searching for MGB, there can be a matching type found. (6V)
Looking to all specs, I discovered there are some important specs to look
for:
Size of course
Capacity in Ampere - Hours
But a very important one I never look at: maximum cold starting current.
The latter specification with the recommended 6V battery had a value of
about 270 Amps max.
My new 12 V battery provides the GT with a 350 peak current!

Nice thing to mount the new battery was, that it was so easy to move the
ground terminal from the right battery box to the left one - there was a
hole for this ready to be used!

The day after the fix I went to the Dutch MGA Club for a tour.
That tour was bad for the GT - my exhaust went bust - two studs on the
engine mount were broken and the car was making quite some noise!
So I had the exhaust replaced today.

Cheers

Hans Duinhoven

GT back in order