Re: Door sag

To: "Philip S Jones" <philip.s.jones@comcast.net>, <mgs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Re: Door sag
From: "Paul Hunt" <paul.hunt1@blueyonder.co.uk>
Date: Mon, 27 Sep 2004 09:19:27 +0100
Door sag is a separate problem to the crack of doom, but there is nothing
stopping a car having both, of course.  I believe the principle cause of the
crack of doom is insufficient clearance between the side of the 1/4-light
frame and the side of the windscreen upright coupled with a design weakness
in the skin.

Sag is usually poor adjustment the last time anything was done or worn
hinges since then.  There are no less than 12 separate adjustments to
getting the doors and 1/4-lights correctly aligned.  Since the weight of the
door is tending to pull the top hinge outwards, and push the bottom hinge
inwards, it may be that you can swap top and bottom hinges over and so
'lose' the wear.  Other than that, and if the rest of the alignment is OK,
and you have enough adjustment left, it is 'just' a matter of slackening
*slightly* the three screws holding the door to the hinge top and bottom so
that you can lift/press the door into the correct position then retighten.

More detailed info at http://www.mgb-stuff.org.uk/wn_bodyframe.htm and click
on 'Doors'.

PaulH.