Re: Door sag

To: Philip S Jones <philip.s.jones@comcast.net>, mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: Door sag
From: David Councill <dcouncil@imt.net>
Date: Mon, 27 Sep 2004 09:32:38 -0600
I would be more inclined to think that the door sag is a matter of
adjustment or maybe worn hinges. Due to the nature of the body shell with
the hardtop, the GT is not as dependent on the sills to maintain the
structural integrity. My 71BGT pretty much had its sills rust out over the
years, but I didn't retire it until after my son had an accident in it at
his high school (a girl drove her van into the front fender, her fault). It
always maintained a good fit with the doors.  And since most of my MGs were
rust buckets in my poorer, younger days, I have seen and lived with the sag
on several Bs but never a GT.

David Councill
67 BGT (minimal rust)
72 B ("totally" restored)

At 07:35 AM 9/27/2004 -0700, Paul M. wrote:

>In my experience, door sag is caused by advanced rust
>in the sills, causing a loss of structural integrity
>and making the whole car sag down in the middle.  But
>my experience is totally related to tourers and the GT
>might have some kind of door sagging problem that I
>don't know about.
>
>If the car is sagging from rust in the sills, then
>it's time to go in there an do the complete repair.
>Inner and outer sills, castle rails, maybe doglegs and
>floors...  No fun, and not cheap, but if you do it
>right, you shouldn't ever have to do it again.
>
>Best of luck,
>

>=====
>Paul Misencik - 1971 MGB - www.sopwithracing.com

Check out the new British Cars Forum: