Re: Lightweight MGB trunk lid?

To: MG List <mgs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Re: Lightweight MGB trunk lid?
From: Max Heim <mvheim@studiolimage.com>
Date: Mon, 27 Sep 2004 10:58:13 -0700
on 9/27/04 10:26 AM, Paul M. at rowman22001@yahoo.com wrote:

> I have an aluminum bonnet that is going on my MGB
> tourer when it gets pained next month, but I need a
> trunk lid too.  Does anyone know of a fiberglass trunk
> lid available anywhere?

Seems an unlikely subject for fiberglass -- it's so small it would hardly
make a difference.

> The Mark 1's didn't come with an aluminum trunk lid,
> did they?

No, unless the factory race cars had one. But I think they had a big fuel
filler sticking out of the middle.

> If there is nothing leightweight available, does
> anyone have a good, used steel one they'd part with?

You could always do the period racer trick of drilling lightening holes in
the internal ribbing (taking car not to poke through the skin).

I found a used one locally, but if your car is nice (or planning to become
nice), it might not save you any money by the time you strip off 3 coats of
paint (this seems to be SOP on parted-out MGs -- 3 to 7 coats of
different-colored paint) and fix all the surface rust on wear
points/scratches/tiny dings, compared to a new replacement.

Oh, here's a tip regarding the aluminum bonnet: make absolutely sure it is
aligned perfectly, that the latch engages solidly, and that you have NEW
rubber stops on the inner fenders to keep it aligned. If it were mine I
would also install a steel plate (with threaded inserts) behind the safety
catch mounting area. The aluminum bonnets are notorious for popping open,
and the safety catch just pulls right out of the aluminum if it happens at
speed. BTDT...

--

Max Heim
'66 MGB GHN3L76149