Re: MGB wheel size

To: mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: MGB wheel size
From: WSpohn4@aol.com
Date: Tue, 28 Sep 2004 15:08:07 EDT
In a message dated 28/09/2004 11:44:10 AM Pacific Standard Time,
owner-mgs-digest@autox.team.net writes:

Note that the only wheel shown in the 15 x 4.5 size is NOT an MG  wheel, it's
for A-H/Triumph/Morgan. I would re-measure your wheels, and  check the
splines to make sure they do fit MGBs.

____________________________________

There are only three major sizes (diameter and length) of splines  used on
British cars - the small short ones on Spridgets etc., the small long  ones on
all Triumph, MG, Healey, Sunbeam, Aston, etc., (all 62.5 mm.) and the  large
one used on Jaguars (73 mm.).

Having said that, to anticipate people who love to point out exceptions,  I
did say 'major'. I am aware of some oddballs like the 16" AC wheels, for
instance. If you want to get into the minority wheels, see
_http://www.wirewheels.co.uk/spokes.htm_
(http://www.wirewheels.co.uk/spokes.htm)

Interestingly, Borrani used the Rudge-Whitworth patents and the Italian
wheels almost all have the same dimensions. I have been giving serious thought
slapping my splined alloy Campagnolos off the Lambo
_http://www.rhodo.citymax.com/albums/album_image/112402/191394.htm_
(http://www.rhodo.citymax.com/albums/album_image/112402/191394.htm)
on the MGC, at least to take a picture, but I'm not sure the 215 tires  would
clear the rear wheel wells!

Bill

Check out the new British Cars Forum: