Ignition ballast -- where is it?

To: mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Ignition ballast -- where is it?
From: "Keith G." <k2@gernertzone.com>
Date: Tue, 28 Sep 2004 07:40:56 -0400
I've purchased a Pertronix Ignitor II for my '79 B and broke out the
instructions last night.  They recommend that the ignition ballast be
bypassed.  I'm pretty sure my ignition was ballasted from the factory
because the original coil has a resistance across the leads of about
1.5  ohms.

What does the ballast resistor look like?  Pertronix's description of
a typical one being a white ceramic piece a few inches long does not
seem to match anything I see under the hood.  However, there is a
long ribbed metallic piece mounted on one side of the coil's bracket.
 It has a white wire with a green stripe attached to both ends.  The
wires on both sides of this thing disappear into the wiring loom, so
I can't tell exactly where they go.  There are same-colored wires
attached to one side of the coil, so I'm assuming they are part of
the same circuit, if not the exact same wires.

If that ribbed metallic thingy is the ballast, is it OK to just
disconnect the wires on either side of it and splice them together?
If that is not he ballast resistor, then just what is?
--
Keith Gernert
79 MGB

Check out the new British Cars Forum: