RE: Front sway bar mounts - still not loosening

To: mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: RE: Front sway bar mounts - still not loosening
From: rdusel@att.net
Date: Wed, 29 Sep 2004 22:10:41 +0000
I had a similar situation adding a sway bar to my 75B. The original nuts were
too rusted for the bolts to grab (from years of being exposed). I took a long
drill and went up through the frame rail top, then used a section of threaded
rod, some washers and nyloc nuts and simply went through the frame. Painted the
nuts and washers to match the rail and it hides fairly well.
Depends on your purist/realist perspective, I didn't mind seeing the nuts
verses finding a welder to do the job...
YMMV.
Rob Dusel 75 B
-------------- Original message from "Dodd, Kelvin" : --------------

> Steve:
>
> I'm afraid I would resort to the flame wrench about now. This problem
> is unusual, but is probably due to the captive nuts breaking free.
> Probably the welder had a bad day.
>
> This is one of those times when having the right tools makes the job
> fairly easy, but without them I wouldn't know how to proceed.
>
> I'd blow the heads off the bolts with either a grinder or cutting torch.
> Take the bar off and get it out of the way. Drill out the location
> where the captive nuts were and try to fish the nuts out of the chassis
> rail so they won't rattle. Then I would make up a repair plate with new
> welded nuts that can be offered up so the new nuts go through the
> drilled holes. The new plate is then welded to the bottom of the
> chassis rails. This will change the sway bar location by the thickness
> of the plate, but this won't be a problem.

Check out the new British Cars Forum: