Re: Front sway bar mounts - still not loosening

To: "Steve Shoyer" <Steve@shoyer.com>
Subject: Re: Front sway bar mounts - still not loosening
From: Eric Erickson <eric@erickson.on.net>
Date: Wed, 29 Sep 2004 16:47:39 +0930
On 29/09/2004, at 2:58 PM, Steve Shoyer wrote:

> The bolts holding up the front sway bar are still just spinning in
> place.  My assumption is that either 1) there's a captive nut in the
> chassis leg that's now freely spinning, or 2) the bolts are stripped.
> tried jamming a pry bar under the bolt as I turned it, but that didn't
> seem to help.  I also tried using a vice grips to pull down on the bolt
> as I twisted, and again, it didn't help.  I removed the front bumper
> (RB
> car) in the hopes of sliding some kind of bar through the chassis leg
> either lever down on the bolt or wedge against the captive nut to hold
> it in place while I twist the bolt.  However, I didn't realize that
> there's a plate (the bumper mounting end plate) blocking access (again,
> assuming that the chassis leg is hollow.
>
> Any suggestions?  Is it worth drilling through the plate to get access
> into the chassis leg?  Hopefully someone out there has run into and
> resolved this problem.

You don't want to have to go through what I did.

Stresses and strains actually split the subframe and set the captive
nut free.  Cut and weld was the only answer (remember, for me it wasn't
just a loose captive nut but an actual tear in the frame... look
closely for cracks or splits in yours).

Extra plate welded top and bottom and new bolts right through was the
only way - but not very pretty.  Remember, mine is a wannabe racecar so
it needs to be fixed properly and reinforced so it doesn't happen again
under the stresses and strains of the racetrack).

Eric
'68 MGB MkII
Adelaide, South Australia

Check out the new British Cars Forum: