RE: surge-o-matic

To: "Lew Palmer" <lpalmer@roundaboutmanor.com>, <mgs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: RE: surge-o-matic
From: David Councill <dcouncil@imt.net>
Date: Wed, 29 Sep 2004 20:17:27 -0600
I didn't disconnect the switches. I merely disconnected the bullet
connector at  the yellow wire on the wiring harness - this is the power
feed that goes to the wire leading to the 3rd/4th gear switch which then
goes to the solenoid. Thus no power to the O/D.

Although I thought the surging was akin to switching the OD on/off/on at
the time (since I had just switched the OD off), perhaps its more like
accelerating/deaccellerating in maybe 2 second intervals, making me think
throttle valves? Since it has only happened three times now, it is likely
going to be hard to locate the problem. I should mention also that I am
using HS carbs rather than the HIFs on this car (72 B). The drive train and
carbs are transplants from my rusted out 71BGT although I do have spare
HIFs in the garage. Call it sentimental reasons - I've been using these
carbs for 21 years now with several rebuilds, including
throttleshafts/bushings being replaced about 12 years or so ago..

David Councill
67 BGT
72 B

At 06:29 PM 9/29/2004 -0500, Lew Palmer wrote:
>David,
>
>Are you sure you disconnected the lockout switch and not the reverse light
>switch? On many transmissions, they're on opposite sides of the transmission
>at about the same location.
>
>Cheers,
>Lew Palmer

Check out the new British Cars Forum: