Re: surge-o-matic

To: mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: surge-o-matic
From: Rocky Frisco <rock@rocky-frisco.com>
Date: Thu, 30 Sep 2004 02:34:41 -0500
David Councill wrote:

> I'm pondering my latest quirk with my 72B. Maybe someone here will see
> this problem and recognize it.
>
> A few weeks ago, I was cruising down hill on the way to work,
> downshifted my OD, and right after that, the car started surging, as if
> the overdrive was engaging and disengaging while I was in third gear.
> Didn't do it in second. I thought maybe the switch was not cutting off
> power, making the connection go on and off and back on. So I unplugged
> the connection of the OD to the wiring harness, figuring I'd deal with
> the switch later. That appeared to take care of the problem.
>
> But then yesterday, same place and roughly same time in the morning, the
> surge comes back in third gear. But once I hit the 25 mph zone, the
> problem goes away and car runs great as usual the rest of the day. So at
> that point, I'm wondering how my OD could engage with no power.
>
> Then this morning, I hit the same stretch and no problems. But when I
> hit the downtown area at 25 mph, I got a similar but much less
> discernible surge. The previous surge was sharp and abrupt much like I
> would have gotten engaging/disengaging the OD. No indications at idle -
> very steady (yesterday I coasted in neutral during the surge and idle
> was perfect and steady). No misfirings at all. So now I think I
> misdiagnosed the whole thing and it must be fuel or carb related. Any
> ideas? A weather front is coming through tomorrow with a chance of snow
> so I'll likely park the car in the garage and maybe look at the carbs
> (possible take them apart and clean them), and drive the BGT in the
> meantime.

Are the air filters nice and clean? Nothing coming loose, partially
blocking the air? Air leak at intake manifold?

Something going wonky with the ignition advance?

Carbs would be my last guess.

-Rock    http://www.rocky-frisco.com
--
JJ Cale Live CD and video: http://www.rocky-frisco.com/calelive.htm