RE: Strange place for a cotter pin

To: <mgs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: RE: Strange place for a cotter pin
From: "Gordie's Garage" <mg_garage@comcast.net>
Date: Fri, 1 Oct 2004 18:01:06 -0400
Yup, the hole is for drainage, and the cotter pin is to keep it clear.
Did you use a clutch alignment tool when you installed the clutch?  If not,
you'll have a devil of a time mating the trans to the engine, indeed it may
not be possible.  If you did align it, persistance will get the job done.
HTH

Safety Fast!

Gordie Bird
'62 MGA
'67 MGBGT

I was getting ready to attempt to stab my transmission to the clutch this
afternoon and I noticed at the bottom of my bellhousing right at the front
there
is a small hole. I assume this is for drainage. There is a cotter pin in
this
hole and it seems to serve no useful purpose. Could be to keep the hole from
getting clogged up. Doesn't look like typical British Leyland engineering
but
then who I to question them!!!! Should I leave it or pull it out? Also am
having a devil of a time trying to stab the transmission by myself. Any
creative
thoughts on doing this job alone. If I can't get it done tonight I will call
my
son who benchpresses 275 and enlist his help tomorrow. My wife has no spirit
of adventure in this regard and clams her manicure takes precedence over my
LBC. Thanks Dave Matthews

Check out the new British Cars Forum: