Re: Strange place for a cotter pin

To: James Harwood <james.harwood@sbcglobal.net>, DMatt21502@aol.com,
Subject: Re: Strange place for a cotter pin
From: Barney Gaylord <barneymg@MGAguru.com>
Date: Sat, 02 Oct 2004 04:14:32 -0500
At 03:34 PM 10/1/04 -0700, James Harwood wrote:
>.... two of the bellhousing/engine-plate bolt holes are a very exact fit
>for the bolt. Those two must go in first to properly align the engine to
>the gearbox (or vice versa).
>There's a tech article about this somewhere on Barney Gaylord's site, but
>I can't find it right now.

Yup, it's there.  I thought it was so important that I put it as the very
first item at the top of the engine information index list here:
http://mgaguru.com/mgtech/engine/en1.htm
Click on AL-101 to go here: http://mgaguru.com/mgtech/engine/al101.htm

It came up on this list nearly two years ago with a suggestion to drill out
the undersized holes for easier assembly.  But do not do that, as those are
alignment holes.

After posting the correct note to this list, I sent same to LBCarCo, and it
was posted in the tech tips page on their web site (but I never got the
gift certificate for it).  See here:
http://www.lbcarco.com/cgi-bin/gen5?runprog=lbtech
Scroll down to:
11/03/02 Aligning Clutch and Bellhousing

I also posted it on our club web site in multiple places here:
http://www.chicagolandmgclub.com/techtips/mga/607.html
http://www.chicagolandmgclub.com/techtips/mgb/607.html
http://www.chicagolandmgclub.com/techtips/general/607.html

I really didn't want anyone ot miss it.