intermittant tailight problem

To: <mgs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: intermittant tailight problem
From: William Killeffer <wkilleffer@comcast.net>
Date: Mon, 04 Oct 2004 12:27:59 -0400
Hi Listers,
I'm having a problem with the taillights and sidemarker lights on my 1974
MGB. When the car is running and I flip the lighting switch, only the
headlights come on. The brake lights work fine, but there is no illumination
at the rear or at the front markers and sidemarkers.
This isn't always the case, though. Sometimes, after a short period of
driving, everything comes on as it should and stays that way until I shut
the lights off.
Lots of websites point to non-functioning lighting being caused by blown
fuses. This is not a problem for me. They're all pretty new and test
conductive. I re-cleaned all the connections on the fuse box, but this
didn't change anything. It's an old fuse box and may need to be replaced.
The headlight and hazard light switches are both about three years old. The
rear wiring harness is about two years old and unmolested. The main harness
will need to be replaced sooner or later, but seems sound enough for now. I
replaced the old rear harness because some DPO had snipped on it and made
several dangerous jury-rigged connections.
I haven't cleaned the grounding points in over a year, but all but a couple
of them looked ok. Looks can be decieving and I will be cleaning them soon.
Until now, everything worked as it was supposed to. Any ideas? Thank you for
your assistance.
-William Killeffer
1974 MGB
1983 Jaguar XJ6 (for sale)