Re: Mirrors; glad you brought it up..

To: "Rick deOlazarra" <cattail@redshift.com>, <mgs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Re: Mirrors; glad you brought it up..
From: Barney Gaylord <barneymg@MGAguru.com>
Date: Wed, 06 Oct 2004 00:54:40 -0500
At 11:46 AM 10/5/04 -0700, Rick deOlazarra wrote:
>  Has anyone out there located and installed side mirror(s) they're happy
> with, i.e: ones that give a feeling of confidence that you really are
> getting a decent view of what's out there?

Yup.  On my MGA I put the wing mirrors 15 inches ahead of the windshield
posts, and use convex mirrors for a larger field of view, not flat glass.

In that location you can see them at a glance without having to turn your
head way sideways like you would with door mirrors.  They are also visible
through the swept area of the glass, which beats the bejaggers out of
trying to see through the side curtains in foul weather.  The one on the
side away from the driver is not obstructed by the dash mounted mirror (as
it may be if farther forward).  You get good coverage behind and in the
blind spots (with convex glass).  They are easy to monitor in traffic
without taking your eyes off the road (too much).  And to top it off, the
single bolt mount type are easily installed there using a long socket
extention to reach up from the bottom just behind the splash panel without
disassembling anything.  They are also less obtrusive for engine work than
being farther forward, although they may still get bumped occasionally.

You cannot of course adjust them while seated in the car.  If you have a
long reach you might be able to do it with your face against the windscreen.

Barney Gaylord
1958 MGA with an attitude
http://MGAguru.com

Check out the new British Cars Forum: