Re: tie rod end still stuck on shaft

To: "Rocky Frisco" <rock@rocky-frisco.com>,
Subject: Re: tie rod end still stuck on shaft
From: "James Schulte" <schultejim@msn.com>
Date: Tue, 5 Oct 2004 23:50:39 -0700
Rocky,
I got the tie rod off using 1 pipe wrench at 14" and a bigger mother of a
wrench at 18". It fought me the whole way but using liquid wrench and what
little strength I had left, it came free.
Now I'm putting the new tie rod end on and I can tighten it only so far and
the self locking nylon thread nut catches the threaded shaft and turns it. Now
I know this is tapered, so it should tighten, but it won't. I used a rubber
hammer to tap it into the tie rod arm more, but it seems to be to big a hole
for the new tie rod to really snug in enough to tighten the nut just 2 more
turns.  Am I not seeing this right or what?
Jim
69C
70B