RE: Bosch alternator conversion notes

To: "'Paul Hunt'" <paul.hunt1@blueyonder.co.uk>, <bobmunch64@yahoo.com>,
Subject: RE: Bosch alternator conversion notes
From: "Frank Marrone" <itswonderful@comcast.net>
Date: Mon, 11 Oct 2004 07:47:57 -0700
Right, I mean the additional small brown wire.  Since you mentioned it I'll
point out that in reality the alternator I have needs zero wiring
modification to work in the MG.  The small brown sense wire could have been
left as is and not replaced with a new #10 wire and all would have worked
just fine.  However, since the sense wire position is an output on the Bosch
alternator (and later Lucas units as you have said) there is a possibility
that this small wire could overheat especially if the main large brown wire
failed.  I decided to move the small brown wire and substitute a new #10
wire in its place as Bob suggested.  This is seemingly the wise way to go.

Also, I can now switch back to a Lucas alternator with no wiring changes
required from my current configuration.  The new #10 wire  will act as the
sense wire with the Lucas unit and the original small brown sense wire would
be left unconnected.

My old Lucas alternator may or may not be of the self sensing type.  I can
say that while the two large lugs of the new Bosch alternator are connected
together that is not the case on my old Lucas unit.  I would have to
conclude that the sense terminal of my old Lucas unit is not an output lug.

Frank
'73 GT

Check out the new British Cars Forum: