Re: E-bay listing - Fraud?

To: "Randy Trautman" <trautman@nwlink.com>, <mgs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Re: E-bay listing - Fraud?
From: "David F. Darby" <darby@tri-lakes.net>
Date: Wed, 13 Oct 2004 22:10:03 -0500
Randy, et al.,

A friend called to ask me to look at one of these a month or so ago. He was
ready to sign up, but wasn't sure about registering. The subject of the
auction was a restored Corvette worth US$60K being offered for $7.5K. (It
was listed as a one-day sale.) The lister appeared to be a little old lady
in Arkansas with perfect feedback, who had a record of buying and selling
old perfume bottles. The car photos turned out to be hi-jacked from a
private website in Washington state where the real owner was asking $60K for
the car.

I found that the sales text had been translated from Hungarian, no kidding.
I am guessing that the perpetrator had also stolen the real eBayer's
identity (probably through a "resubmit your eBay password now" scheme). If
eBay knows about these scams, they don't seem to have gone public with it
yet.

I guess if something seems to be to good to be true...

Cheers,

David

Check out the new British Cars Forum: