Re: Blinker prob

To: "Douglas Gaither" <dgaither@northeastassembly.org>,
Subject: Re: Blinker prob
From: "Paul Hunt" <paul.hunt1@blueyonder.co.uk>
Date: Sun, 17 Oct 2004 15:14:46 +0100
You can get stable voltage readings by connecting a green supply (fused
ignition) direct to the light-green/brown wire at the turn switch or use an
analogue voltmeter which generally copes with fluctuating voltages better.

Any voltage difference on the green/red and green/white supply wires
indicates bad connections back towards the common point i.e. the turn
switch, check the bullet connectors by the headlights and the multi-plug (if
you have one) by the steering column and it could also be a problem in the
switch itself.

Any voltage above 0v on the body of the bulb itself indicates bad grounding.
Check also the bulb holder body and the light unit base.  The same volt rise
on all three indicates the light unit isn't grounding to the wing/fender
properly.  You may have to scratch the paint round the hole then paint with
Waxoyl before fitting the light unit to prevent corrosion.  Voltage on the
bulb body but not the holder indicates a bad connection between the two
which may be able to be cleaned up.  Voltage on the bulb and the holder but
not the light unit base indicates a bad connection between the holder and
the base.  With enough heat you may be able to get a blob of solder to
'take' and bridge the two rather than buying a new light unit.

PaulH.