Re: Clutch problems...

To: geoffeg@geoffeg.org
Subject: Re: Clutch problems...
From: Bob Howard <mgbob@juno.com>
Date: Mon, 18 Oct 2004 13:35:59 -0400
  The clutch slave cylinder must push the clutch operating rod at least
1/2 inch in order to separate the clutch.  With a helper pumping, you can
see if that movement is taking place.  It seems that, with fluid filled
in the system, the mechanical parts of the clutch are OK, and you are
getting that movement.
  The dropping level of fluid indicates a leak. Slave cylinder is most
likely culprit since you didn't mention fluid on your shoes or the
carpet.  Fortunately, it's easy to rebuild and to replace.  Unless you
know its history, you might just buy new, although they are fairly easy
to rebuild if not pitted in the bore.
  Disconnect the battery before you work on the slave cylinder. It is in
close proximity to the hot lead on the starter solenoid, all too easy to
contact with a wrench.
  Whether you decide to rebuild or to replace the cylinder, do replace
the rubber hose while you are at the job.  It's easier to connect hose to
cylinder, putting hose into lower hole of the cylinder and bleeder screw
into upper, connect hose to the solid pipe, then to fasten cylinder to
the clutch housing.  After it's all bolted up, top off the master
cylinder and bleed the clutch cylinder.
Bob

On Mon, 18 Oct 2004 11:12:29 -0400 Geoffrey Gallaway
<geoffeg@geoffeg.org> writes:
> Hi gang..
>
> I'm trying to figure out if I need to replace my master or slave

Check out the new British Cars Forum: