Re: surgomatic continued

To: <mgs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Re: surgomatic continued
From: David Councill <dcouncil@imt.net>
Date: Thu, 21 Oct 2004 17:58:33 -0600
Actually I thought I described the problem in full detail and I also
emphasized on both posts that the OD's power supply was disconnected.
However, the subject line itself was a bit misleading in that I referred to
a surge ("surgomatic") which was not quite what was happening. The actual
"surge" I thought was like the overdrive engaging/disengaging on
de-acceleration. But since it happened again this morning and traffic was
light, I was able to briefly accelerate and there was no problem until I
slowed again. "Free wheel on overrun" could be a better description -
essentially not in gear and then re-engaging as opposed to the OD itself
engaging/disengaging - hard to tell when you are coasting down a hill,
early in the morning, low on coffee.

The problem seems to only manifest itself in 3rd gear on a somewhat steep
decline which occurs for only two city blocks. Dave Houser's suggestion was
not to take that road which at the time was perhaps prudent advice as that
was the long, scenic route to work. But I have a new job now that just
happens to be right off that slope - but I could coast the troublesome area
in neutral for now. The other problem, reverse slippage did not occur at
all today.

On a somewhat related note concerning Paul's comment about the symptom
description I gave, there was a post a few weeks ago where someone was
having a problem with their idle. In that case, I thought they couldn't
maintain an idle and thus thought it was a massive vacuum leak. But Rocky
replied thinking it was a sticking throttle cable, causing the car to idle
higher. In short, we both interpreted the person's description in totally
different ways. So I'm curious on how that turned out. Quite often, its
hard to describe something and/or interpret it from a post and yet if we
were there, we'd know what it was in a second.

David Councill
67 BGT
72 B

At 09:43 AM 10/21/2004 +0100, Paul Hunt wrote:
>Well, I have to say that doesn't sound anything like the symptom you gave
>originally, or I at least and I'm sure others would have put it forward as a
>suggestion.

Check out the new British Cars Forum: