Vintage Wheel Lug Nuts

To: "'mgs@autox.team.net'" <mgs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Vintage Wheel Lug Nuts
From: Ruggiero Larry Lt Col AFRC/XPXS <Larry.Ruggiero@AFRC.AF.MIL>
Date: Thu, 4 Nov 2004 14:05:31 -0500
Hi guys,

Perhaps someone's been down this road and can help, before I resort to
measuring and doing web searches. I recently Ebayed a nice set of NLA (no
longer available) '70s vintage American Racing Libre wheels, like those
frequently found on old Datsun 240Z's and 510 sedans, especially the cool
BRE TransAm racing machines. I just wanted something different from the
Panasport/Minilite commonly found on our 'B's. These wheels appear to
require shanked lug nuts, different from stock rostyle conical-shaped ones.
The wheel's stud holes are large enough that the lug nut shank goes through
the hole as it threads onto the wheel stud, protecting the aluminum wheel
from the stud and ensuring it's centered. Also, these type lug nuts use a
thick washer to protect the wheel face when tightening. So... I'm pretty
sure the lugs are 7/16 size, 20 tpi-- any good guesses as to the specs of
the lug nuts required (shank diameter, length, etc.)?  Thanks... By the way,
wheel sets (typically 5.5 X 14 inchers) show up on Ebay semi-regularly and
go for $400-500. There's enough interest that I'm surprised someone isn't
remanufacturing them to appease those of us who like this cool "old school"
look.

Larry Ruggiero '72 MGB roadster
Warner Robins, GA