'63 vs. '68

To: mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: '63 vs. '68
From: Kevin Smith <ksmith40@centurytel.net>
Date: Tue, 16 Nov 2004 22:52:58 -0600
This is long.  Sorry.  Here's the rub:  A local business just off the
interstate always seems to have their rear garage door open when I
drive by.  They also have an MGB siting in said doorway.  I had been
eyeballing it for about a year and always commented to myself or
whoever happened to be in the car on how they don't seem to be making
any progress with it as I drive by.

A new engineer recently started working at our plant and found out that
I am a MGB nut.  We become friendly and he mentions having a line on
one and that he is wanting to "fix up" for his wife to drive.

Well, of course it's the same car I've been noticing for a year, but
here's the good part.  It's a '63, serial in the low 12,000's.
Interior is shot and the body needs the usual work, but the engine was
recently rebuilt and it has an overdrive tranny.  Plus it came with
lots of uninstalled new parts.  The guy is paying for the whole car
less than what I've seen paid for the tranny alone, much less the spare
parts.

Here's the (somewhat) bad part:  The engineer guy wants to lose the
engine and tranny and put a V6 Chevy with automatic in it (so his wife
can drive it) and make some other "under-the-hood" modifications.  Now,
it's his car and he has the right to do what he wants to, and his
reason is fairly reasonable, plus if he does, that leaves me in the
catbird seat to make a deal (hence the "somewhat") on the engine and
tranny.

I've considered trading him outright, my '68 for his '63.  The '68 is
in better shape than his '63.  I don't need the big time bodywork, just
a re-spray, but I need an engine rebuild and my interior is shot too.
I don't have an overdrive tranny--he does.  I've convinced him that my
pillow dash would be safer <grin>, and frankly if he wants to "tear up"
a car, why do it to a '63 when he could do it to a less collectible (to
many) '68.  Trading cars would be a small step backward for me
workwise, but then I would have a more desirable car.

Then again, I can probably get the engine and tranny from him for a
song (or some parts trades from my old '72).  I'm really interested in
the tranny.  I'm just not 100% that it will be better than or even work
with what shipped with my '68.  Weren't there some synchro additions in
the Mark II's that are better than the Mark I's?  Would it be better,
or possible to move the overdrive unit to my '68's vanilla transmission?

Anyway, what would you do?  Any comments are appreciated.

Kevin
'68B (roadster, tourer, whatever)
'72B (the rust experiment)