Re: Battery Tenders

To: Larry Daniels <ladaniels@sbcglobal.net>,
Subject: Re: Battery Tenders
From: James Harwood <james.harwood@sbcglobal.net>
Date: Sun, 21 Nov 2004 17:51:31 -0800 (PST)
Larry,

If all the batteries in your collection are in tip-top
condition, and fully charged when first connected
together, it could work ok.

But IMHO it is toooo risky.

What if one battery is tired, and the other one in
great shape? You have the potential for lots of
current to flow from one to the other. Much like the
situation where you use booster cables from a running
car to start a car with a dead battery. Those booster
cables are pretty robust - something like 200A rating.

An automotive battery doesn't limit the current it can
deliver - much. Whereas the battery tender limits
itself to providing a maximum of 1.5A

In short (?!!), be very wary of connecting batteries
in parallel with anything but very heavy duty wire.
Even then you have a danger from gassing.

Although it's a pain, I would recommend a regime of
connecting the tender to each individual battery in
turn for say a 24 hour period. A battery that decided
to go belly-up would safely show itself in this way.

Messrs Voltaire, Ampere and Ohm have quite predictable
rules, Mr. Lucas OTOH is quite another matter.

My $0.02
Safety Fast.
James
'74 B