Re: Speedo reads low after overdrive conversion

To: mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: Speedo reads low after overdrive conversion
From: "Phil Bates" <jello@ida.net>
Date: Mon, 22 Nov 2004 10:19:22 -0700 (MST)
I'm not sure about your particular year, but for many years, an OD speedo
has a different gear ratio than a non-OD speedo.  The easiest way to
correct it would be to get the right speedo for the gearbox you have.  The
more complex (but also more accurate way) would be to take out your
speedo, count the number of turns the speedo cable makes in 52' 9.5", send
the information off to a speedo shop like nosinger - and have them gear it
properly.

I'm not sure about the speedo pinion on the gearbox - mesching gears have
to have the same dimetral pitch, and the spacing has to be right, so
there's a pretty good chance that you can't just change speedo drive
pinions.  As far as cable lubricant, I don't think it's just graphite,
because its pretty sticky and nasty stuff on that cabel. People use all
kinds of things - I've even heard WD-40.

For the jerky/wobble problems, it is probably the cable.  Chances are good
that there is a bend in the cable that isn't real smooth, and that is
causing a problem, or that you do (or don't) have an angle drive and you
shouldn't (or shoul) to take out one kink right by the gearbox.

Phil Bates
67 MGB with overdrive