Re: Speedo reads low after overdrive conversion

To: MG List <mgs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Re: Speedo reads low after overdrive conversion
From: Max Heim <mvheim@studiolimage.com>
Date: Mon, 22 Nov 2004 09:30:23 -0800
Possibilities:

...by reusing the original speedo cable instead of the longer OD cable, it
now has tight bends which cause friction...

... Or the cable is worn and needs replacing...

... Or the right-angle adapter (if present) is worn...

... Or the speedo itself needs cleaning (probably least likely).

I doubt that merely lubing the cable will make much difference. BTW the
speedo shop which sold me a new cable for my other car told me to use the
least amount of lubricant possible.

I would be almost certain that you have the "wrong" pinion for your
speedometer, but in certain cases a speedometer swap might be a solution
(for some applications no appropriate one is available). The problem is
that, depending on the year of vehicle, speedo, OD, and size of tire fitted,
there may not be a pinion available, either, which will give a perfect
reading. I am living with about a 6% low reading right now.

This is with a 66 MGB with a 1977 OD tranny, and 175R14 tires.

--

Max Heim
'66 MGB GHN3L76149