Dead Alt

To: mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Dead Alt
From: "S. Allen" <sallen3663@gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 26 Nov 2004 00:09:06 -0500
Hi,

Today when it came time to return from my parent's house the BGT
wouldn't start.  After jumping it and driving it home I checked the
alt and it's putting out just shy of 12 volts so it's dead...

Here's my question: it's new.  I picked it up from Moss back in March,
and the one before it lasted 18mos before giving up the ghost so I'm
wondering how normal is it for B alts to fail?

I've heard that they have a high failure rate, but I'm wondering if
it's true, and if so why hasn't anyone figured the problem out and
done something about it?

I mean geez, two in 26mos.  At this rate I may as well swap a new one
in every time I do a tune up.

Thanks in advance,

Scott Allen
74 1/2 BGT