Re: Ignition Timing

To: "David Macedonia" <david.macedonia@verizon.net>, <mgs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Re: Ignition Timing
From: Barney Gaylord <barneymg@MGAguru.com>
Date: Tue, 30 Nov 2004 22:52:31 -0600
At 11:31 PM 11/30/04 -0500, David Macedonia wrote:

>.... timing of my '66B (18GB engine, .... I have to rotate the distributor
>almost as far as it can go counter-clockwise (to the point where the
>vacuum advance hits the oil pressure gauge line) .... timing chain, but
>could it be possible that I'm off by a tooth or two ....

For cam timing, see here: http://mgaguru.com/mgtech/engine/cm105.htm
To check cam timing, remove the valve cover and rotate crankshaft until the
rocker arms of either #1 or #4 cylinder are both moving, one upward and one
downward, and stop when they are both the same height.  Timing mark should
be very near the TDC pointer.  If you skip the chain over one tooth, the
crankshaft would be off by 18 degrees, more than 3/4" from the pointer.

For distributor position see here: http://mgaguru.com/mgtech/ignition/ig103.htm
If you appear to be off by 90 degrees at the distributor cap, you might
just have the HT wires mixed up.  If the wires are right, then the drive
gear is mis-oriented.

Barney Gaylord
1958 MGA with an attitude
http://MGAguru.com