Ignition Timing

To: <mgs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Ignition Timing
From: "David Macedonia" <david.macedonia@verizon.net>
Date: Tue, 30 Nov 2004 23:31:13 -0500
Listers,

I'm stumped. In trying to set the timing of my '66B (18GB engine, which I
just got started for the first time in 9 years!), I found that I have to
rotate the distributor almost as far as it can go counter-clockwise (to the
point where the vacuum advance hits the oil pressure gauge line) and have
the timing vernier rotated fully clockwise before I can get the timing to be
approximately 15 deg. BTDC @ 800 rpm. It's been years since I installed the
timing chain, but could it be possible that I'm off by a tooth or two in the
relationship between the timing gears? Or, is there some other explanation?
My concern is based on pictures of similar cars that have their distributors
oriented such that the vacuum advance is below or just to the right of the
heater control valve. Or, am I just missing something obvious?

It turns out that I have a leak in my radiator, so I'll probably have to
remove it. So, if I need to work on the timing chain, this will be as good a
time as any.

Thanks in advance,

Dave

1966 MGB