Re: New Radiator

To: Mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: New Radiator
From: Rocky Frisco <rock@rocky-frisco.com>
Date: Sun, 05 Dec 2004 23:15:32 -0600
David Macedonia wrote:

> All,
>
> It's been recommended to me NOT to attempt to repair the radiator in my
> '66B and just buy a new one from Victoria British (P/N 12-005) or Moss
> (P/N 456-880). Would you agree with that advice? Are the new units
> similar looking? In particular, do they have the offset filler cap found
> on my 'B? Assuming that I do buy a new one, do they come complete with
> the drain valve installed?

Here's what I would do:

There's a couple of very good rad shops in Tulsa, so I would take it
to either one and tell them to check it out thoroughly. Any plugged
tubes? Any incipient leaks? Weak spots?

I have a radiator and cooling system pressure checker I bought at a
pawn shop (highly recommended tool to obtain), so I test my cars to 17
pounds with coolant in them. If they pass this test, I reckon the 13
pound cap will not provide enough pressure to cause problems. I do the
17 pound test before I take it to the shop. If the rad is still
holding pressure after waiting a few minutes, It still might have
blocked tubes, so I do get it tested by the shop, too.

I always try to see if the old bits are able to keep up with modern
demands before I replace anything; often the old stuff is better made.

-Rock    http://www.rocky-frisco.com
--
Rocky Frisco's LIBERTY website: http://www.liberty-in-our-time.com/
World's best free News Service: http://www.rationalreview.com/news/