Re: Backfire problem

To: "Douglas Gaither" <dbgaither@sbcglobal.net>,
Subject: Re: Backfire problem
From: "Paul Hunt" <paul.hunt1@blueyonder.co.uk>
Date: Fri, 10 Dec 2004 09:14:25 -0000
Backfiring in the *exhaust* can caused by a lean mixture and is common on
cars with an air pump if the gulp valve has failed.  It can also be caused
by ignition problems failing to give a regular and consistent spark.  The
tach will be flicking if these are in the LT side, but not the HT.
Backfiring in the inlet is altogether less common in my experience, but
could be caused by valve or valve timing problems.  Unlikely to be directly
associated with using a hotter stat unless something untoward happened when
you were changing it.  A hotter stat and higher running temp will result in
higher coolant pressures, which could explain why the radiator is weeping
now, but it must have been very marginal to begin with.  A loose carb damper
shouldn't cause backfiring, but it will cause a stumble on acceleration.  If
it is popping up and not simply coming unscrewed this is usually caused by
worn threads.  Replacing the damper may help if its plastic threads are the
culprit and not those on the alloy cover.

PaulH.