Re: Backfire problem

To: "Paul Hunt" <paul.hunt1@blueyonder.co.uk>,
Subject: Re: Backfire problem
From: "MonteMorris" <mmorris@nemr.net>
Date: Fri, 10 Dec 2004 16:01:32 -0600
Doug,
I sometimes also get backfire through the rear carb but only when cold
starting (79B converted to HIF's and foam filters). This would pop off the
damper. As Paul has suggested, I thought it was due to worn threads on the
plastic damper cover so I ordered a new one. Same thing occurs.  You can
definitely tell when the damper cover is off due to the stumbling
acceleration. To remedy the damper from popping off, I used a hose clamp
wrapped around the neck of the air chamber cover. I then cut off a 1 1/2
inch piece of zip tie and looped it over the damper cover, stuck the ends
into the hose clamp and tightened the hose clamp down. This kept the damper
from popping clear loose, but it still loosened up a little. I eventually
modified it a little further by putting a small rubber grommet between the
damper top and the zip tie "strap" to give it a little more cinching power.
This has kept the damper cover in place for some time now. This was
important because I live on 4 miles of graveled, dusty roads.
Jerry-rigging at it's best (sorry, Gerry!).

Monte
          79B, Carmine
          67B, BRG
          74 1/2 Rust, parts car