The first long trip: A 150 mile ride in the MGC

To: Philly_MG_Club@yahoogroups.com, Mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: The first long trip: A 150 mile ride in the MGC
From: "James Schulte" <schultejim@msn.com>
Date: Sun, 19 Dec 2004 22:58:04 -0500
Listers,
Well, I took a 150 mile round trip ride on Saturday with my mistress the
1969 MGC and my other mistress (my wife of 29.5 years). Before we left I
checked the oil and found it was 3.5 quarts low. Oh boy, not a good sign. We
left at 6 pm in darkness for Tuscarora, which is in the Mountains of
Northeast Pennsylvania.
We were headed to a 50th birthday party of Kevin Valentine, an MG Midget
owner that organizes the LBC 100 mile Rallye every summer totally free to
all entries. We were excited to see his face when he openes his present from
the Spridget Club containing a new Cam and 4 rebuilt shocks for his Midget.
Anyway, it took us 95 minutes (75 miles) 2 quarts of oil and 4.5 gallons of
93 octane gas to get there. I believe we were hired to eradicate all the
remaining mosquitoes still left in the Pocono Mountains that night by the
blue smoke we were laying down on the way to the party (-; The car ran
flawlessly even up the 3500' climb over Blue Mountain. After a wonderful
party at the Tuscarora Fire Hall, We set out for home only to be confronted
by our own body heat steaming up the windshield from dancing to several 1970
and 1980 hits.
To compund the problem, the outside air had dipped to 32* from 45* earlier
that evening. It took a good 10 minutes for the windows to clear as we
limped out of Tuscarora. Down in Tamaqua, PA just 4 miles from the party, I
decided to pull into a Mobil gas station/convenience store to search out
some 20w50 oil as I had used my spares up. Off we went with 2 new bottles of
Mobil 20w50 oil and paper towels to combat the moisture on the inside of the
windscreen. The ride home was uneventful with a short stop to top off the
tank in Macungie,PA (high test was $1.89.9 at the local WAWA). We arrived
home at 11:45 pm and MSO paid our nephew for sitting our son while I checked
the oil. I expected to put in 1-2 quarts but was stunned to find only 1/2
quart was needed. My wife wanted to know if I was going to take Kevin home
in the Truck because of the weather. I decided to drive the C instead. Sure
enough, a check in the garage and the car had stopped pouring oil out the
tail pipe. Could it be true, the rings finally broke loose going over the
mountain the second time? After dropping my nephew off, I went for a spin
around Lansdale and back home. YES! It was true. The rings must have broken
loose. No more blue smoke! The speedo now reads 30,100 miles. It took 600
miles before the rings freed up. That means no pulling the engine for now
and money can be spent continuing to spruce up the other mechanics and
wares. Yipee! MSO said, "the things that make you happy....." Well it is
snowing now, so I don't know when I'll get her back out, but a major
milestone has been reached.
Jim
69C
70B