restoration question

To: <mgs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: restoration question
From: "Jim Sylvester" <jim.sylvester@comcast.net>
Date: Tue, 21 Dec 2004 07:15:27 -0600
I've loved MGs - my friend's older brother drove an ancient beat up one when
he was in college and although it left a trail of oil wherever it went and
had lost all lights years before, it was still a beautiful car with more
appeal than any of the new mid-70's cars everyone else was driving.

In addition to two old MGs (that I could never afford to restore but managed
to keep on the road) I've owned and semi-restored a variety of other
interesting old cars including a '66 Sunbeam Tiger, and several assorted old
Mustangs.  I'm currently doing a rolling restoration of a '68 Datsun 2000
roadster which brings me to this list for advice:

Although this is a non-MG question, I hope I can impose on the group to ask
a general question applicable to anyone restoring the interior of an old
roadster.  I'm installing a new interior, and have everything down to bare
metal getting ready for two coats of POR 15 today.  I've got a carpet kit
ready for installation that came with a pad already attached to it, so I
don't need to put down a carpet pad, but I'm looking for something as a
heat/sound barrier between the floorplan / transmission tunnel and the
carpet.  Any ideas on products, adhesives, etc?

Again, I hope you don't mind that I'm sending this question to the MG group,
but I'm guessing that folks who are into old cars are into all types of old
cars and not just a particular marque.

Thanks!