Re: restoration question

To: mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: restoration question
From: Rocky Frisco <rock@rocky-frisco.com>
Date: Wed, 22 Dec 2004 12:23:56 -0800
Jim Sylvester wrote:
> I've loved MGs - my friend's older brother drove an ancient beat up one when
> he was in college and although it left a trail of oil wherever it went and
> had lost all lights years before, it was still a beautiful car with more
> appeal than any of the new mid-70's cars everyone else was driving.
>
> In addition to two old MGs (that I could never afford to restore but managed
> to keep on the road) I've owned and semi-restored a variety of other
> interesting old cars including a '66 Sunbeam Tiger, and several assorted old
> Mustangs.  I'm currently doing a rolling restoration of a '68 Datsun 2000
> roadster which brings me to this list for advice:
>
> Although this is a non-MG question, I hope I can impose on the group to ask
> a general question applicable to anyone restoring the interior of an old
> roadster.  I'm installing a new interior, and have everything down to bare
> metal getting ready for two coats of POR 15 today.  I've got a carpet kit
> ready for installation that came with a pad already attached to it, so I
> don't need to put down a carpet pad, but I'm looking for something as a
> heat/sound barrier between the floorplan / transmission tunnel and the
> carpet.  Any ideas on products, adhesives, etc?
>
> Again, I hope you don't mind that I'm sending this question to the MG group,
> but I'm guessing that folks who are into old cars are into all types of old
> cars and not just a particular marque.

When I restored and re-shelled my '67 Cooper S, I wanted to do something
about the "oil-drum" sound you get when you shut the doors on a Mini. I
went to my local "car toys" shop and they sold me some thin brown
plastic "sound-deadener" sheet. It had adhesive on one side, with a
plastic protective covering I peeled off and applied the sheet to the
roof, doors and floor. It does add some weight, but I didn't (and don't)
plan to use it for competition. It works a charm. When I slam the door,
it sounds more like a new Mercedes than a Mini.

-Rock    http://www.rocky-frisco.com
--
Rocky Frisco's LIBERTY website: http://www.liberty-in-our-time.com/
The World's Best Daily News Service: http://www.rationalreview.com/