Re: Roundabouts (was Re: replacing clutch on the MGB)

To: mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: Roundabouts (was Re: replacing clutch on the MGB)
From: Rocky Frisco <rock@rocky-frisco.com>
Date: Tue, 04 Jan 2005 16:29:33 -0800
David Breneman wrote:

> A town near where I live is going roundabout crazy.  There is no
> accepted protocol for using these things in this part of the
> country.  You have people cutting each other off, changing
> lanes, etc.  Some roundabouts have two lanes both turning right
> into them with no indication of who is to go where.  I'm afraid
> to take my MGA anywhere near them.  The Wall Street Journal
> published an article about the roundabout craze a couple years ago
> and determined that the average US traffic light or 4-way-stop
> controlled intersection that is replaced by a roundabout
> suffers a 700% increase in accidents.

We have had a roundabout here in the Tulsa area since the 1930's. They
call it the Mingo traffic circle.

http://www.rocky-frisco.com/MingoCircle.jpg

The fact that it's dead simple might explain why there are rarely any
serious accidents there.

-Rock    http://www.rocky-frisco.com
--
Rocky Frisco's LIBERTY website: http://www.liberty-in-our-time.com/