Re: MGB: Bouncing Speedometer Needle

To: "Michael Zachariah" <mzachariah@yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: MGB: Bouncing Speedometer Needle
From: "Phil Bates" <jello@ida.net>
Date: Fri, 7 Jan 2005 10:14:37 -0700 (MST)
This is a pretty common problem.  It is usually attributed to the
speedometer cable and/or the angle drive (if you have one).  My past
experience is that you can correct it with a new speedo cable, but that
cable goes through a lot of twists and bends, and it will happen again
probably within a year.

To be really clear on it - the cable goes out the speedometer through the
firewall toward the front of the car, down one side or the other of the
transmission (it is most commonly routed around the bell housing and to
the passenter side, toward the back of the car, and finally into the
transmission (sometimes through an angle drive before the transmission)
about as far back as where you sit.  That's a lot of twisting and turning,
and one kink once will make the needle go wobbly.

Phil Bates