Re: Why do (or did) the British drive on the left.

To: yd3@nvc.net
Subject: Re: Why do (or did) the British drive on the left.
From: ksmith40@centurytel.net
Date: Wed, 19 Jan 2005 10:55:19 -0600
> Why didn't America bear left?  We had no knights!  We didn't even have
> the developed roadways of Europe.  The few roadways were barely one
> horse wide let alone a carriage wide so we went down the middle.  When
> it became necessary to designate a side for vehicle traffic we went
> right.  (Take that any way you want!)  Why? I haven't really considered
> it.

If carriage drivers are used to driving on the left side of the bench, then
horseless carriage (car) drivers would do the same thing.  Then, when they came
upon another car, they veered left.  This creates some problems:

A: They risked guessing the width incorrectly and hitting each others fenders.
B: They couldn't stop and talk face to face with the other guy with the engines
running without sliding across the seat.

People were actually friendly back then.  I imagine not saying "hello" or "good
morning" to oncoming traffic was a huge faux pas.  But I'd guess that "A" was
the real reason.  Vehicles back then steered like a "Radio Flyer" red wagon, so
if IIRC, either side of the "tongue" would have steered the same.  So when did
the British decide to sit on the right side of the car?

Kevin