Re: crack of doom

To: "oliver" <sumton@sbcglobal.net>, "mgs" <mgs@Autox.Team.Net>,
Subject: Re: crack of doom
From: "Rich C" <richchrysler@quickclic.net>
Date: Sat, 22 Jan 2005 17:31:37 -0500
Hello all,
Want to hear a good one about the "Crack of Doom"?

I have here before me a copy of BMC Technical Service Bulletin Volume 6
number 5, dated August 27, 1963.
It reads, and I quote,

"Subject:- DOOR PANEL CRACKING    MODEL:- MGB

    If a sharp edge has been left in the corner of the door window aperture
at 'A' it is possible that a crack may develop as shown if the quarter
ventilator mounting becomes slack.
    This condition may be rectified by brazing or gaswelding the crack with
a fillet of weld in the corner 'A' to prevent any reopening.
    Action has been taken in production to eliminate this possible
weakness."

unquote!!!!!
A beautiful line sketch accompanies the above indicating with an arrow the
precise location of where the crack begins and is duly noted as 'A'
It would appear that they seemed to miss taking the appropriate action
throughout the entire life of the car.<grin>
In addition can you imagine someone doing the appropriately suggested braze
or weld and what it would have done to the surrounding paint on the owner's
brand new 1963 MGB?

Rich Chrysler