RE: MGB Fuel Injection

To: "Scott Bradney" <scott_bradney@msn.com>, <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: MGB Fuel Injection
From: "Dodd, Kelvin" <doddk@mossmotors.com>
Date: Thu, 24 Feb 2005 16:48:38 -0800
Scott:

The development model received California Air Resource Board approval
and we were given the go ahead to move to production.

Currently we are waiting for final cost estimates from the company that
will be manufacturing the throttle body.

Unfortunately it is not a real high priority for the manufacturer, so we
are having to be patient (he says quietly gritting his teeth).

The Moss kit is designed specifically for cars that have to meet Smog
requirements.  If your car does not have to meet Smog I would absolutely
not recommend the Moss EFI kit.  There is way too much development cost
and tuning limitation built into the kit to make it a good buy for other
uses.

If you are interested in a distributor-less ignition system too I would
recommend going with one of the commercial CPU systems combined with a
single throttle body bolted onto a custom 1 into 2 intake manifold.  To
be honest I think it is a waste of money as the computer is not going to
be cheap.  If you can live with a distributor, then the Megasquirt would
be the way to go as it will control an EFI unit cheaply.  I don't think
this will give a whole lot of improvement tho' over a good pair of SU
carbs.

I've seen a system using TWM throttle bodies on a weber manifold, but
unfortunately it had the same bottom end bogging that a weber carb would
have.  The siamese port head just does not like big holes.  Throttle
body EFI is not going to change that.

If you are going to go to this much trouble and expense for engine
management, I'd look at forced induction with direct port injection on a
cross flow 4 port head.  Either supercharger or turbocharger would
provide the oomph and the cost of the engine management system would be
spread over a lot more horsepower.   Playing with a pair of siamese
ports is just going to be a waste of time and energy.

My bit and a 1/2

Kelvin Dodd

Behalf
> Of Scott Bradney
> Sent: Thursday, February 24, 2005 3:31 PM
> To: mgs@autox.team.net
> Subject: MGB Fuel Injection
>
> I remember reading in the Winter 2003/2004 edition of the British
Motoring