RE: Virus Recommendations

To: <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Virus Recommendations
From: "TJ Tryon, Jr." <tjt@insightbb.com>
Date: Tue, 8 Mar 2005 14:47:15 -0500
Which anti-virus program to use is really a religious debate.  There is
something to say for the fact that 90% of fortune 500 companies use Symantec
Corporate...  The important part of the whole discussion is to get a
anti-virus program.  They all work, all the virus defs come from the same
place (norton and mcafee especially), they all have their little quirks, and
all the good ones cost money (aside from AVG, which the personal edition is
free, though the user interface is not user friendly.  Regardless of which
one you like/dislike, just make sure you have one of them installed....

Same thing with the hardware firewalls.  If all you are relying on is a
software firewall, you are vunerable.  I like Linksys, but again, there are
quirks as to different firmware level stability.  Netgear, D-Link, and
others are all good.

Anti-Spyware programs unfortunatly are not quite as easy.  Some of these
programs install spyware, or leave certain spyware on a PC.  Others are
spyware in themselves.  Stick to AdAware or Spybot S&D and you'll be OK.

When in doubt, there are plenty of hi-tech pros on this list, ask away, or
feel free to email me directly to keep the list banter down.

TJ