RE: Moss/parts question

To: "Dan DiBiase" <d_dibiase@yahoo.com>,
Subject: RE: Moss/parts question
From: "Dodd, Kelvin" <doddk@mossmotors.com>
Date: Mon, 14 Mar 2005 11:01:25 -0800
Matt:

142-260 is the plastic lens, with formed chrome cap and the turned alloy
bulbholder.  The design is obsolete and the piece is only available as a
limited quantity reproduction with high tooling cost/unit.  They used to
be $64.95 retail when purchased from a third party, but Moss Motors
tooled up for the part and was able to get the price down a bit.

The 142-265 being a later design was used in many vehicles and is still
a popular off the shelf item, and available from a major British parts
manufacturer at a low cost.

Hope this answers your question.  Usually a large price difference is
due to real cost differences, either in actual purchase cost or
amortization of tooling and manufacturing overhead costs.

Kelvin Dodd

Behalf
> Of Dan DiBiase
> Sent: Monday, March 14, 2005 8:28 AM
> To: Matt Trebelhorn; MG List
> Subject: Re: Moss/parts question
>
> --- Matt Trebelhorn <matt.lists@trebelhorn.com> wrote:
> > I'm looking at replacing a few damaged bits on the dash.
> >
> > Moss part #142-260 lists for $49.95.  It's a turn signal lens.
> >
> > Other years' turn signal lenses 142-265 list for $5.85.
> >
> > Now, I realize that they're different pieces.  But an order of
> > magnitude difference?  If I'm remembering correctly, the price for
> > 142-260 used to end in a zero ($49.50?), making me think it was just
> > misplaced keystroke.
> >
> > So, is $49.95 correct?  If so, why is that little piece of plastic
so
> > expensive?
> >
> > I was a bit wary of replacing a broken piece with a shiny new one,
and
> > not having the patina to match the other side... and at that price,
I'm
> > sure not going to replace them as a pair!
>
> I'm sure that Kelvin will chime in here. I suspect it's a
> supply-and-demand thing, since the 72 and up cars use the same part
number
> (the second one you referenced). Hey, the comparable part for the
> metal-dash cars aren't even available, so count your blessings...! Re:
the