Re: Oil Pressure Sender/hose

To: Matt Trebelhorn <matt.lists@trebelhorn.com>,
Subject: Re: Oil Pressure Sender/hose
From: Barney Gaylord <barneymg@MGAguru.com>
Date: Mon, 14 Mar 2005 14:42:01 -0600
At 02:57 PM 3/14/05 -0500, Matt Trebelhorn wrote:
>So, on my '70 B, the oil pressure sender and the oil pressure sender pipe
>below ....
>
>When I put the new one on, is there anything I can do to try and keep the
>oil inside?

Just be sure the fittings are tight.

>Make sure the threads are clean, obviously; don't over-tighten
>anything.  What sort of threads are they, and is it an application where
>teflon pipe tape is appropriate? ....

Nope.  Use no tape of sealant here.  The connection incorporates a metal
flare end tube fitting and straight threaded nut, similar to a brake line
or fuel line fitting.  Seal comes between the flared metal tube end and the
conical nose of the mating fitting.  The threads do not need to be sealed.

>This strikes me as a slightly odd fitting -- a flexible hose between  the
>engine block and something bolted directly to the engine block ....

You could replace the hose with properly formed rigid steel brake line, if
you could match the fittings.  I'm not sure, but it could be the tubing
female flare nuts may not be compatible with standard brake line flares.

Barney Gaylord
1958 MGA with an attitude
http://MGAguru.com